Friday, July 22, 2011

TGIF #1: Weekends


Well, first things first. I ask you, what is the point in saying TGIF without being thankful for weekends. Right?

Over the years, my weekends have varied a bit. In school, we used to have Saturdays & Sundays off while in college it was Sundays & Mondays. In a former life, while working as an IT professional it went back to Saturdays & Sundays. Later on when I wasn’t working, all days were weekends! Currently I have Fridays and Saturdays off.

The first thing that comes to my mind when someone mentions weekends is... sleep! I get to sleep a few extra hours! I’m a sleepaholic so yay for that! My husband is exactly the opposite. On weekdays he moans and groans and grumbles to get up but on weekends, he is up bright and early and is pottering about long before I drag myself out of bed. (Sometimes I need to be bribed with a hot cuppa coffee too. Mrs.N S don’t cringe - coffee is good for you;-)) This weekend, we are going to drop in at the library (Yes I am also such a nerd) and then go watch Harry Potter! So yay for that too :-)

But more than anything else I am grateful for weekends because my husband and I get more time to spend with each other. The whole week goes by with him slaving away at office and me cooped up by myself within the four walls of our apartment (as I work from home). Whether we go anywhere or do something useful is immaterial. It just feels nice to simply be with each other.

Apart from that, I also think that in this busy-busy world, all of us need to pause and spare a moment to “smell the roses”; and this is where weekends come in - After all even God rested on the 7th day so hey, who am I to argue?! On that note, I will leave you with a lovely poem I learnt in school (Don’t I have a good memory!?) called Leisure (In fact, I even remember that this was when I came to know that it was pronounced Lee-sure and not Ley-sure)

Leisure

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this is if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

- William Henry Davies

Image Courtesy: www.dreamstime.com

2 comments:

  1. Anne! We have used the exact phrases and the exact poem!
    http://pastel-moods.blogspot.com/2011/01/making-time-to-stand-and-stare.html

    Can't agree more :). I'm a huge sleepaholic as well, while Anand is an early riser - weekday or weekend! And alright, the coffee "debate" has rested ;).

    And you know I never thought I'd say this, but college seems such a long time back that I'd even forgotten that we had Sundays and Mondays off!

    Enjoy Harry Potter and your visit to the library. Look fwd to your wishlist next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Neeraja: Wow!! Same pinch! ;-)

    The only reason I still remember about college weekends is, I haven't yet figured out why we had Mondays off as apposed to the normal Sat/Sun weekends??! Does anyone know? It just seemed/seems pretty unusual!

    Harry Potter was good-sad that it is all over. But planning to restart reading from the beginning once again - with the added intelligence of hindsight!

    And picked up 'Julie & Julia' at the library-haven't read the book, so looking fwd to it :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments! Please leave one (or many!). I sincerely appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...